I'd like to share with you an email that i received from a friend of mine who is still in Cairo.
She is an American married to an Egyptian.
This amazing thing is happening here in New Maadi today. There are tons of young kids like college or HS kids out on he street cleaning up. The place is getting so clean! It is amazing. They really want to make a NEW EGYPT and it brings tears to my eyes to see all the youth out there working together. I stopped and gave bottles of water to some of the kids and they were so thankful and kind. They spoke English and seem educated and really wanting a CHANGE to happen here. One had a paper that she was handing out to people and it was written in English and Arabic. They were passing them out to all the cars passing by. Of course I read the English version!!! Here is what the paper said:
Egypt is calling everyone for help!!!
- Buy Egyptian Products.
- Drive with good manners
- Be nice and smile =)
- Spend your vacation in Egypt.
- Convince non-Egyptians to spend holidays in Egypt.
- Keep streets CLEAN! Don’t throw rubbish in the streets.
- Open a brokerage account and buy local share in the stock.
- Donate blood and unwanted stuff.
- Vote in September!! Every vote counts
- No More bribes or cheating in our beloved Egypt!
- If you see someone doing something wrong, try to politely talk to them.
- If you see any corruption, stand up against it and call 16117
- LOVE EGYPT AT ALL TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!IT’S YOUR HOME!!
ISN’T THAT COOL THAT THE YOUTH ARE MAKING A STATEMENT LIKE THAT AND REALLY PUTTING ACTION BEHIND THEIR HOPES AND DREAMS.
The streets over by my house and between here and the school is where I saw all those kids cleaning. The bags of garbage were piled high and the places they were sweeping or picking up garbage and the areas next to the streets were all nice and clean. It was great. I hope it will continue and that people will keep up the desire to make Egypt a better and cleaner place to live. It really is a wonderful country filled with lovely people.