Friday, October 11, 2013

Little people.....

Sometimes I don't think I realise just what a difference 
I have on these little girls who come into my studio 
with hopes and dreams and expectations.

I don't know what they want from my time.
 I don't know what they think of me.
The other day i had a little girl very confused as she
couldnt figure out where i slept as i 
didnt have a bed,
turned out she thought i lived in the studio.


Last night I came home and I couldn't sleep thinking about 
a little 6 year old girl in one of my classes who I don't think I treated in the best way I could. 
She's distracted in the class and always looks for 
excuses to get out of doing the steps,
 mainly  because I don't think she connects with the way that I teach. 

So this week I got really stern with her and no patience for every story 
that had nothing to do with anything or made up problem that she had
And I think to myself, this little girl isn't connecting with me 
but instead if trying to build a bridge I disconnected her further.

Today I had another little distracted little girl in my class. 
She can't stay still, she can't listen, she's always on the go, 
it's tricky because I try and teach them the 
importance of silence and stillness in ballet as much as movement.

My assistant today was on top of her trying to gain 
her attention and keeping up on her every
 lapse of concentration, 
and I told her. 'Let's just leave her alone today, as long as 
she isn't disturbing the others let her be distracted in her own little world'


And at the end of the class the little girl came and
 gave me the biggest hug and told me she loved me, 
and I'll admit I was shocked it came out of the blue. 
This little girl who makes my time so difficult actually 
enjoys being in the studio, 
she even appreciates me as a teacher 
(that week) 
and i dont know what i did in particular to make her feel 
such gratitude today.

These little children teach me something 
new every time I see them, 
and I think of the ballet teachers that I had at their age 
and what knowledgable people they seemed to me

and although they didnt alter my life in 
a life changing way,
they did make me the person i am today.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh I can completely relate to this. I'm currently teaching 2-5 year olds either creative movement or ballet/tap. It gets super frustrating, especially when I've got a class of mostly 4 and 5 year olds (relatively good listeners) and a 3 year old gets thrown in and changes the whole dynamic of the class. I have to remind myself that they're little people learning their way around the world and I can't get frustrated for them expressing their boredom or feelings because I do the exact same thing.
    EASIER SAID THAN DONE!!!

    ReplyDelete