Friday, November 5, 2010

Book Heaven?

So i finally got round to finding the
Azbakizya Second Hand Book Market in Cairo.
The first couple of times i got lost in the process,
and found markets that sold,
soap,
shoes,
meat,
underwear

everything but books.

But it was worth the wait.
It is literally book heaven .
Lots of old abandoned books been sent to a resting place,
until someone who loves them takes them home and give them a new lease of life.




I hate to buy new books.
I rarely ever do,
in fact in the past 6 years i can only recall
1 book that i have bought brand new,
and only because i was stuck at a train station with a long wait ahead of me.

I love second hand books.
I love that they have a history.
That they once took someone on the journey
that i am about to embark on with them.

I always hand in books that i don't enjoy to second hand shops,
as i know that there is someone out there who
will give them a home and appreciate them in a way that i couldnt.


Finding a 2nd hand book market
in cairo makes me very happy.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like such a neat place! I'd love to visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cool. i am so jealous of your adventures!! second hand books are my favorite too. i wish i actually read all the books i buy!!

    ReplyDelete