Monday, January 13, 2014

Being Married


The other day someone made the comment to me 
that they didnt feel like they were married even though they
had been married a year.

And i defended it saying that being married to me has made such a huge
difference in our relationship.

Somehow i feel like a different person.
I feel like Mrs Reid.
not Miss anything.

It didnt happen over night,
i didnt wake up the morning after wedding and feel 
everything had changed.

I guess its a bit like birthdays,
you change age over night,
but gradually over the year you realise that you have developed
and changed and no longer are the person you were a year ago.

Everything just feels more solid now.
Before if he annoyed me
i always had the option to say,
actually you bug me, 'goodbye'
but now i have to think to myself,
this is forever,
is this something that i'm going to give on
or is this something that is too important and i need to take on.

give and take,

it started out a bit like that,
but at the moment it feels like
we're on the same path,
sometimes i feel i know him better than he knows himself,
sometimes i realise he knows me better than i know myself,

little things still surprise me,
things i didn't know about him
(he says i didnt ask....
i say why would i out and out ask you 
if you worked in a cowboy rodeo before?)

some people think that marriage is just a piece of paper,
something legal incase at one point you need to divide up your assets.
its so much more.

i cry a lot more at movies,
especially war films,
i think to myself,
imagine if that were husband...
in Saving Private Ryan one of the guys in the background
got blown up and i noticed he was wearing a wedding ring....
oh dear....
i didnt stop.

i love it when we are around other people
and i get to show him off.
'this is my husband'
and if i can see that they dont quite
see how fabulous he is
i pity them 
and secretly smile at what i know i have
and they are missing out on.

hmmmm....
where did this mushy post come from.

Dont worry,
i've got loads of actual interesting stuff to write about at some point.

like my trip to the Caribbean,
trekking through bat poo,
fooling some poor real estate agent into 
taking us around as we were considering buying our own private desert island....




No comments:

Post a Comment